(usagi-users 00026) using glibc-usagi simply and safely

Installing a new libc has always been a sensitive issue and I wish I
had these instructions somewhere in README.USAGI before fiddling too
much with -L, -l, various env vars, and before my daemons were
`spawning too fast'.

Use your id, not root.  First, patch the glibc and install it let's
say in --prefix=/glibc.  Then bring a gcc-core and modify
gcc/config/i386/linux.h such that the hardwired string
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 becomes /glibc/lib/ld-linux.so.2.  Next configure,
compile and install this gcc using the same --prefix=/glibc.  Now you
can compile an usagi-improved ipv6 application with:

   bash$ LD_RUN_PATH=/glibc/lib /glibc/bin/gcc improved.c
   bash$ ./a.out

Thus, you don't need any special -l, -L, -nostdlib, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
your old applications still run correctly.  Moreover, you get rid of
the entire glibc-usagi with just rm -rf /glibc.

BTW, Hideaki, how do you use your glibc-usagi ?

Thanks,

Alex

PS: RedHat 6.2, gcc-core-2.95.2, i386.