(usagi-users 00028) Re: using glibc-usagi simply and safely

In article <m3ofzoi2hw.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (at 10 Nov 2000 10:46:03 +0100), "Alexandru Petrescu" <petrescu@xxxxxxx> says:

> Installing a new libc has always been a sensitive issue and I wish I

Yes, this is a big problem.

Currently we include new features in glibc with new symbol
GLIBC_2_1_3_USAGI (and GLIBC_2_2_USAGI for glibc-2.2).
Glibc people dislikes these symbols and they will remove *_USAGI
symbols when we contribute new functions into glibc and you will
encounter some problems.

One possible senario to avoid this is that we provide patch for
include files and new inet6 library for new advanced features.
When a feature stabilized,  we can contribute it to original
glibc (hopefully) without problems.

Drawbacks:  1. We must specify options such as -L/usr/local/lib
-linet6 to use our advanced features.  2. Include files can
be different between distributions, and upgrading USAGI environment
can be more complicated.

IMHO, this is not opinion of Project,
 1. we provide advanced features by separate (static/dynamic) library,
    not by libc, and
 2. we provide patch for include files for such features in form of patch
    against glibc
should be ok.

Comments?

> BTW, Hideaki, how do you use your glibc-usagi ?

Well, I use patched (debian) package provided by us.
Test is done by compiling glibc with usagi-patch and
setting LD_PRELOAD.

--
Hideaki YOSHIFUJI @ USAGI Project  <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
PGP5i FP: F731 6599 5EB2 BBA7 1515  1323 1806 A96F 5700 6B25