(usagi-users 00095) Re: netkit-base

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Paul Gampe wrote:

> Hi Mauro, What is your motivation for keeping ping separate?
> Paulg

i have developed a version of ping that supports both ipv4 and ipv6.
then alexey kuznetsov made me change my mind. the only stuff that
is common to ipv4 and ipv6 is the packet-sending-and-receiving part
of the code, which is trivial - he said to me. supporting both ipv4 and
ipv6 in a single program results in a certainly-not-elegant sequence
of switch and if-else statements, mainly beacause of the different
advanced-sockets api for ipv4 and ipv6 and of the different options
for ipv4 and ipv6 pings.
at this point, it is better to have two programs, IMHO ;-)

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi			mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
				mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ferrara Linux User Group	http://www.ferrara.linux.it