(usagi-users 00850) Re: How can I enable global IPv6 forwarding in kernel

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Tin Ho wrote:
> In /etc/sysconfig/network, add a line IPV6FORWARDING=yes
> In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, add a line IPV6_ROUTER=yes

One should clarify here:

- This is how it works in Red Hat Linux 7.1+, and Peter Bieringer's
scripts.

- There is no need for IPV6_ROUTER=yes, it is the default if
IPV6FORWARDING is enabled.  This is only supported in RHL 72 beta+ and
Peter's new scripts.

And how to enable it in general case?

'sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1'.

Please also note a Linux kernel feature:  in Router mode, default route
will not work for forwarded packets.