(usagi-users 03913) Basic MIPv6 Setup

Hi,

Thanks to all who help me setup my MIPv6 testbed.

I’ve written a howto document with all the steps I followed to have this setup running, the problems I had, and how I solved them.

I stored the document along with my configuration files at: http://www.geocities.com/rodolk/sourcecode.html

I’m copying here the document. I hope it could help somebody new to USAGI MIPv6 as I am. If you think there is any error please tell me.

Thanks,

Rodolfo.

Mobile IPv6 very basic howto

----------------------------

This howto provides all the steps to have a very basic setup of USAGI Mobile IPv6 stack in Linux and a testbed with one MN, one HA and an IPv6 CN (with no Mobility) from which you can run a ping6 against the MN when it is in a visited network.

The first problem I had was to find out which is the "official" MIPv6 project. I found out there are two web sites and a number of cooperating projects. The projects are USAGI, KAME, WIDE and MIPL (Go-Core). The two web sites I found are:

-www.linux-ipv6.org (USAGI)

-www.mobile-ipv6.org

I still don't have everything clear but I took the USAGI project as the official one and I took its web site as the primary one: www.linux-ipv6.org

Here I'm describing the steps I followed but there are many other ways. You could choose different versions, different commands to run, etc.

I did all in a Fedora 6 distribution.

The first step is to choose the correct kernel version.

I read at www.linux-ipv6.org/umip-0.3-ann.html.en that there is a kernel patch for linux version 2.6.21-rc5. Then I acted accordingly.

You have to go to www.kernel.org and download kernel 2.6.20 (the last stable version with a 3-part version number smaller than the patch).

Install the source code at /usr/src/linux (it can be a soft link)

Once you downloaded and untared it (tar -xvf ...), you have to apply kernel prepatch rc5 with the patch command:

-Download patch-2.6.21.5.bz2

-Apply the patch to the kernel source code.

Now you have to apply the kernel patch for mobile IPv6: patch-2.6.21-rc5-mip6.prepatch

I downloaded it from directory

ftp://ftp.linux-ipv6.org/pub/usagi/patch/mipv6/umip-0.3/kernel/patch/all-in-one

To apply the patches you have to copy them into the root of the kernel code:

/usr/src/linux and then run command

patch < [kernel patch]

Use the option --dry-run to test the patch before actually applying it.

Now you have to configure, compile, and install the new kernel:

When you configure the kernel there are a number of features you need to enable as part of the kernel in the IP networking section. I enabled all related to IP (see my .config file).

Then run make, make modules_install, make install.

Reboot using the new kernel.

You must use the new kernel in every node that needs MIPv6.

Now you have the kernel ready you must compile and execute the MIPv6 Daemon.

MIPv6 has one small part implemented in the kernel and most of it is implemented as a daemon running in user space.

You must get the daemon from the GIT repository, from one of the latest branches. I'm new in GIT so there might be better ways to do this. If you don't have GIT installed you must download and install it.

You must clone the repository:

git-clone git://git.linux-ipv6.org/gitroot/mipv6-daemon.git

This will create your local git repository in directory mipv6-daemon.

As of 23-Jul-2007, you must not use the master branch, you must use branch umip-20070428 or later.

To see all remote branches:

git branch -r

To work on a specific branch (or head), like umip-20070428, in your local repository, you create a local branch. From the root git directory use the command:

get checkout -b mycopy origin/umip-20070428

Now you have the intended branch instead of the master and you can compile. Run the commands in the following sequence:

aclocal

autoreconf -i

CPPFLAGS='-isystem /usr/src/linux/include' ./configure --enable-vt

make

make install

The flag --enable-vt enables a virtual terminal to get information from the binding cache and others. Read the existing documentation to learn more.

Now you have the correct patched kernel and the daemon installed.

The next step is to copy the configuration files mip6d.conf into directory /usr/local/etc

This file configures the node to run as MN, HA, or CN. It also set other configuration parameters. I'm including my own configuration files for MN and HA.

You must download and install radvd in your HA node. I installed radvd 0.9.1

Beyond this point everything depends on your specific testbed.

My tesbed:

2 networks:

Net1: Prefix 3ffe:2620:6:1::/64 (Home Network)

Net2: Prefix 3ffe:2621:6:1::/64

3 Nodes:

MN in network Net2

HA in network Net1 on the router

A CN with only IPv6 in Net1

MN Home Address: 3ffe:2620:6:1::1234/64

HA Address: 3ffe:2620:6:1::1/64

  _____                     _____                     _____

  |   |eth0             eth2|   |eth0             eth0|   |

  |   |---------------------|   |---------------------|   |

  -----                     -----                     -----

   MN                         HA                        CN

      3ffe:2621:6:1::/64            3ffe:2620:6:1::/64

Commands in HA:

ifconfig eth2 add 3ffe:2621:6:1::5/64

ifconfig eth0 add 3ffe:2620:6:1::1/64 (HA Address, do not forget /64 otherwise the MIPv6 daemon will stop as soon as you start it)

(Static forwarding routes)

route -A inet6 add 3ffe:2621:6:1::/64 dev eth2

route -A inet6 add 3ffe:2620:6:1::/64 dev eth0

You may have problems with IP6TABLES. I just flushed them:

ip6tables -F

radvd configuration file must be modified. Specifically indicate that HA is in eth0. I'm including mine.

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/proxy_ndp (for proxy neighbor dicovery for MN in foreign networks)

radvd -d5

mip6d -d10 (interactive for debug info)

Commands in the MN:

route -A inet6 add 3ffe:2620:6:1::/64 gw 3ffe:2621:6:1::5

mip6d -d10

Commands in CN:

(After the MN registered into its HA)

ping6 -I eth0 3ffe:2620:6:1::1234 (The MN HoA)

This lets you run a ping6 against a MN in a visited network.

Important references:

GIT User Manual:

www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html

USAGI Project:

www.linux-ipv6.org

www.linux-ipv6.org/umip-0.3-ann.html.en (info on versions to use)

MIPv6 daemon repository:

git://git.linux-ipv6.org/gitroot/mipv6-daemon.git