(usagi-users 03914) Re: Basic MIPv6 Setup

Hi Rodolfo,

On 2007/07/23, at 21:12, Kohn, Rodolfo wrote:
Mobile IPv6 very basic howto
----------------------------

This howto provides all the steps to have a very basic setup of USAGI Mobile IPv6 stack in Linux and a testbed with one MN, one HA and an IPv6 CN (with no Mobility) from which you can run a ping6 against the MN when it is in a visited network.

The first problem I had was to find out which is the "official" MIPv6 project. I found out there are two web sites and a number of cooperating projects. The projects are USAGI, KAME, WIDE and MIPL (Go-Core). The two web sites I found are:
-www.linux-ipv6.org (USAGI)
-www.mobile-ipv6.org

Ok, I'll try to enlighten you a bit here. I already had many similar questions and it seems that it is not very clear in people's mind. People from USAGI will correct me if I'm wrong, but knowing a bit about each project, I can tell that:

USAGI and KAME are projects within the WIDE organization (http:// www.wide.ad.jp/):
- USAGI works on IPv6 and IPsec stacks for Linux,
- KAME (that was stopped in March 2006) works on IPv6 and IPsec stacks on BSD variants. They also develop a MIPv6 stack for BSD (named SHISA), but this has no relation with MIPL2 not UMIP.

USAGI and Go-Core joint their effort to develop MIPL2 until summer 2006. MIPL2.0.2 that runs on a 2.6.16 kernel is the latest release from that joint effort. In order to maintain MIPL2 to the latest kernel Linux kernel developments, USAGI maintains and releases UMIP, which is in fact MIPL2 + a set of patches to maintain MIPL2 to the latest kernels.

Is it more clear for you now?

I read at www.linux-ipv6.org/umip-0.3-ann.html.en that there is a kernel patch for linux version 2.6.21-rc5. Then I acted accordingly.

You have to go to www.kernel.org and download kernel 2.6.20 (the last stable version with a 3-part version number smaller than the patch).

Install the source code at /usr/src/linux (it can be a soft link)

Once you downloaded and untared it (tar -xvf ...), you have to apply kernel prepatch rc5 with the patch command:
-Download patch-2.6.21.5.bz2

Be careful, kernels 2.6.21.5 and 2.6.21-rc5 are not the same.

BTW, note that USAGI provides a howto with useful information here:
http://www.linux-ipv6.org/memo/mipv6/

Cheers,
--
Romain KUNTZ