(usagi-users 03949) Re: Differences between USAGI and MIPv6

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 08:07:23PM +0200, Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Jonathan Faranda" <jfaranda@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have setup a testbed using the MIPL (http://mobile-ipv6.org/) kernel
> > patches and user-tools. I see on the MIPL site that it says:
> >
> > "MIPL Mobile IPv6 for Linux releases 2.0 (and later) are developed by
> > GO-Core in co-operation with the USAGI/WIDE Project. GO-Core and USAGI
> > have co-developed extensions to the Linux IPv6 stack to support Mobile
> > IPv6. The goal is to get these modifications accepted to the main line
> > kernel."
> >
> > After reading the USAGI site (http://www.linux-ipv6.org/) I am
> > confused as to what the differences are between the two projects. Are
> > there differences or are they related? Can anyone explain the
> > differences? Thank you.
>
> My understanding:
>
> MIPL is a set of patches for an old version of Linux kernel.  The git
> repositories available on linux-ipv6.org follow latest version of the
> linux kernel: this includes the kernel itself and also UMIP.

MIPL has both kernel part and user space part.  UMIP is a set of
patches that have not yet been incorporated to the official MIPL due
to lack of time.  I and Ville Nuorvala (being the MIPL maintainers)
both left Helsinki University of Technology in the beginning of this
year, and have other day jobs.  Due to this we haven't been able to
give the attention we would like to MIPL lately.

> UMIP is
> based on MIPL but with improvements, bug fixes and more importantly a
> set of developers that maintain it and are working on it (there are
> even packages for ubuntu and debian). AFAIK, MIPL is not maintained
> anymore.

We hope to merge UMIP patches into MIPL once again.  These were never
meant to be separate, but as we were gradually given less and less
time to spend on MIPL at HUT, USAGI wanted to have their patches out
faster than we could accomodate.  As for GO-Core, the project ended
year and a half ago, so HUT allowed us to work on MIPL during working
hours as a courtesy and as long as we managed our other duties as
well.

We met with Aramoto-san from USAGI last month, and had a little update
where we are currently.  I have RFC4283 and RFC4285 (and related RFCs)
support almost ready, and also did a split on the code for CN, MN and
HA, so you can compile it either as a mip6d or separate cn6d, mn6d,
and ha6d.  This was done to support devices that can't hold the whole
thing and want to support just one (or two, since CN is included in
all).

I do have a high motivation getting MIPL back up-to-date, this is more
of a time management problem.  I hope that in the near future I have
more time.  Now that I've spent 9 months at my new job, and also the
sail yacht racing season is over in Finland, I should have more time
for after work coding.

Regards,

Antti