(usagi-users 04061) Re: ping6 is sent out from wrong interface

Hi Naohiro,

>Hi Marcus
>
>Thank you for your quick reply.
>
>> It's due to routing.
>
>For the reason of selecting 'eth0', I agree.
>But, I think the device is specified before looking up the
>routing table in this case.

Well, ping's man page reads:
---
       -I interface address
              Set source address to specified interface  address.  Argument
              may  be  numeric  IP  address or name of device. When pinging
              IPv6 link-local address this option is required.
---

So you only set the address, not the interface to be used for sending.

>> ...with eth0 being preferred over eth1 for multicast packets.
>> You could add a dedicated route for ff02::/16 to make the
>kernel output the packet via eth1.
>
>This works when using only "eth1" for multicasts.
>When multiple I/Fs are connected to separate networks, this
>scheme requires changing the route every time a user need to
>send ping to different network.

Ok, my proposition was a bit too general. It would probably be better to set up routes for the exact addresses. So in your case to ff02::1.

Of course, if you wish to send the same packet via several interfaces within a short time, this would still result in adding and deleting the routes over and over again.

>I think kernel can solve this problem better.

I don't think this would be intended....

Bye,

Marcus
IABG mbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ottobrunn, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB 5499
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rudolf F. Schwarz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: General a. D. Wolfgang Altenburg