(usagi-users 04092) Linux kernel support for mesh network multicast routing

Hello,

I'm Henning Rogge, one of the programmers of the OLSR.org routing daemon.
OLSR is a proactive mesh net protocoll and our implementation is used mostly
on small routers or embedded hardware.

At the moment OLSR.org does only support unicast routing (by setting routes in
the linux kernel to do the hop-by-hop forwarding), but we would like to add
the ability to use multicast too. OLSR is a proactive routing protocol, so
each routing daemon has information about the whole network topology.

Most mesh networks use wireless links, so we don't have well defined broadcast
interfaces and often have to retransmit incoming packages back through the
same interface.

Does the linux kernel support setting up multicast forwarding rules like this
so we could create multicast trees by the routing daemon and let the kernel
forward the packages (and drop duplicates) ?

(I send this message twice to the list because the first one was GPG signed
and did not appear in the archive)

Henning Rogge

Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: rogge@xxxxxxx
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Maurus Tacke (komm. Vors.), Prof. Dr.-Ing.
Joachim Ender (Stellv.)